Wednesday 26 June 2013

Art & Travel Blog: Rome, Italy - Vatican City

Finally I can write a post about my globe trotting experiences. As some of you may know Traveling is my passion, my heart and soul. I love it more than anything else. Immersing yourself in a different culture and learning about the history of the city, the Art and Architecture is a real treat.

After studying Michelangelo's paintings and sculptures for almost 2 decades of my life. I was definitely in awe to see the real original works of the grand master himself. As I sat at the end of the Sistine Chapel staring up at the ceiling, it was at that point in time that I found myself tearing from it's beauty. It was beyond believe of how someone could paint such massive fresco murals on a ceiling in such short time.

Fresco, the painting technique is to apply a layer of plaster and applying pigment or paint to the plaster when it is still wet. With this technique, only 2' x 3' sections could be painted at a time. I'm sure the math is easy as Michelangelo completed 12,000 sq ft of ceiling space in 4 years, 9 murals from the Book of Genesis. Basically depicts the story of how the world was created by God. Birth of the Sun and the Moon; Creation of Adam (mankind); Birth of Eve (the creation of women); Temptation (the forbidden fruit); and etc.

Unfortunately no photography was allowed in the Sistine Chapel or else I could show what a beauty these paintings were. Approximately three years ago the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel was cleaned and restored. This was only to reveal the beautiful bright colours in the fresco paintings done by Michelangelo. The Sistine Chapel is located in the Vatican city, at the top of the chapel there is a golden sphere that fits 4 people inside.

Those whom don't follow Art themselves may be interested in a bit of a background story. Michelangelo was commissioned by Pope Julius II to do paintings on the large stretch of 12,000 sq ft of ceiling. These masterpieces were completed within 4 years time and were considered one of his crown jewel works of art. Michelangelo was one of the longest living artists of his time, he considered himself more of a sculptor than a painter, he was well versed with many talents. He was a poet, an architect and an engineer.

Vatican